Tuesday, March 07, 2006

What IS the Sound of One Ass Cheek Clapping?

That's a Zen question for all of us packing junk in our trunk.

Today was crazy busy. Work was flying at my from all sides. I took multitasking to a whole new level. For a little while, Murphy's Law seemed to be in full effect. Example: "This needs to get done right now!" Cue Carrie spilling water all over her desk, her notepads, the Blackberry goes flying, and all down my left pant leg. Here she is folks--Paralegal Extrodinaire. The Year of the Fabulous feels a little damp, to be honest. I told Sharon tonight at bellydancing that generally when everything seems to go all to Hell at work, it must be Tuesday. For whatever reason, it always seems crazy on Tuesdays. The gods have declared it thus. But I got everything done that needed to be, made it to bellydancing on time and had a grand ole time shaking my shit with the Unsinkable Miss Sharon.

During my crazy Tuesday, Conor dropped by for a visit. He works in my area and will on occasion drop by when I take a smoke break. Generally, two get smoked. And we try to give the Cliff's Notes version of our lives in ten minutes from the last time we saw or talked. We're both in good spirits these days. He noticed the goofy look in my eye that hasn't been there for a long time.

And it's true. I'm starting to feel more like myself than I have in a long, long time. I'm goofy and curious and much like a child. I am easily interested in the things around me and am not watching the ground, tripping over my life. And once again, the city shifts to suit the new mood. Instead of the shadows being prominent in my view, it's more a game of peek-a-boo with the sun. The subways are still dirty and the people are still crazy, but it's not as threatening or depressing as it can be. It's the city starting to shake winter. Much like a dog after a bath, winter comes flying off and the energy spills in all directions. People are sitting in their homes in Jersey, shaking their heads and wondering what happened. And why they smell like wet dog. But that has nothing to do with this metaphor. I just hear that Jersey smells like wet dog.

No, I'm not in love. No, I'm not high. My interest is peaked again, and there's really nothing that can stop me when I'm like this.

I'm pretty amazed with my microwave even. I came home tonight and put in a bag of popcorn. And I remember the days when you hit the "popcorn" button and it was a crap-shoot on whether or not you'd have a withered, burned mess and the permeating smell of burning popcorn that sticks around for weeks after such incidents. And now? I am enjoying the most fluffy, perfectly popped popcorn the world has ever seen. My beer is cold and Jon Stewart is on the TV. You know, sometimes, it really is the little things that matter. I'm sleepy and still somewhat dissatisfied with certain elements of my life, but there's also a lot of good in there, too. Tomorrow is going to be another long day at work, but then I'm going to top it off by seeing my other lady Spring and playing some pool in my new favorite pool hall, their apartment. I'm telling you, if there was a pool table in my bedroom, it'd be bad. Like, I'd probably stop showering and sleeping. And we don't have neighbors to worry about, so there wouldn't even be a curfew. I'd be like the Bird Man of Alcatraz, only with pool. And a chick. And not in prison. So scratch all that. Basically, I'd just be playing pool all the time.

Also, I'm too lazy to search for the link. Perhaps tomorrow I shall edit this and add the link, but I think everyone should know that Yanni was arrested the other day. Yup. Yanni. For a domestic dispute/domestic violence. I just can't help but think his own music, normally used to be an opiate for the masses, the go-to sedative of people in confined spaces like drug stores and elevators, finally drove him over the edge. A sort of reverse psychology from the man who created it. That, or perhaps Yanni goes home and listens to nothing but Rage Against the Machine and had he been listening to one of his own CDs, his girlfriend wouldn't have a black eye right now.

That's all for now. Good night and Good Luck.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home