Thursday, January 26, 2006

There's a Galaxy of Emptiness Tonight

It's stuff like this that makes me want to stay in bed.

"I don't see how you can be a partner in peace if you advocate the destruction of a country as part of your platform."--President Bush

Right, right sir. We only attack ideas. We love to declare wars on abstract nouns--if only there was an Terrorismaland (which in my head is right next to Marijuanistan and also borders on the Homo Republic). Turns out, the only successful war-on-an-abstract-noun we're fighting is the unstated War on Common Sense. I would say that his above statement makes us look like hypocrites (again), but I think we gave up our position as a "partner in peace" when we gave the finger to the U.N.

All the War on Terrorism has given us are people who hate us who now have even more reason to hate us than they did before. And now we're handing them the Palestinian authority as well. I say we handed it to them because so many of our policies have led to so much of the unrest there that brought these people to elect a drastically different style of leadership. And so, though not directly, we just gave terrorists a governing body. I'm not quite sure how we define terrorism anymore, but Hamas pretty much says, "Um..yeah. Israel? Not gonna happen. I have something in my backpack for that. Where's the nearest hotel?"

Perhaps this is unfair. Perhaps they will hand every Israeli a kitten and we will all sing Kumbaya (sp?). But chances are the kittens have poisoned fur and the Palestinian holding your hand is a woman and therefore, expendable.

After a long night of work (until 1:30am) where a war zone broke out of sorts within my team, I wake up, weary and drained and come in and turns out my microcosm just became the macro.

Whole 'lotta bad mojo in the world today. It makes me sad. The cold air hangs heavy. Winter is a time of death, which is supposed to clear the way for the new life of the spring. But in my world, in the world beyond, I have a hard time imagining what spring will look like. What life can form in these particular brands of death that even make Winter shiver? I fear it has scorched the Earth. I fear what comes next.

Stars light the sky in a gutter full of of broken dreams tonight
Though how not content that's the way it seems to be
Still I've been fightin' all week though I don't know what for
Hopin' someone else, someone you used to score
Could you please knock me off my feet, for a while?
Could you please knock me off my feet, for a while?

And there's a galaxy of emptiness tonight
A whole galaxy of emptiness tonight...

--Beth Orton

ADDENDUM OF JOY:
Robert just got into Harvard Law. He's going to be rich and we are going to have a sham marriage. It's gonna be sweet.

1 Comments:

At 5:16 PM, Blogger blythe said...

ok so i had that article saved on my favorite links so i could blog on it. well done. now i don't have to :)
I HATE OUR PRESIDENT

 

Post a Comment

<< Home