Wednesday, January 18, 2006

What is Kept Behind the Eyes of a Fallen Angel

I walked in and I just wanted to run out
The problem is the little girl, the woman, and the fighter
all wanted to take the stage
I laugh like I always do
My whole life is a Comedy of Errors
The Divine Comedy of Errors
The crawl to the subway seems eternal
Keep me silent and keep me strong
We shuffle on like pilgrims to the subway
Our Church of Eternal Bad Lighting
Where everyone looks like a Holy Ghost
Heads bowed in prayer and exhaustion
Over the Manhattan Bridge and into the
Promised Land--
Of sorts--
I stay silent though my Confessor is to my left
So tired of asking the same question
So tired of needing the same reassurance
Though it sticks in the back of my throat
Like some uncontrollable verbal tic
Just waiting to get out
I grip the pole in a moment of scattered clarity
My own metal communion
Keep me silent and keep me strong
The train spits us out into the world beyond
Walking toward the light carries a different reverence
My Confessor goes before me
I want to walk in the rain
To hear my music bleed from my ears to my heart
The cold rain is my baptism
And from my lips to the Almighty's ear
I ask the question to Brooklyn
Keep me silent and keep me strong
But confession is good for the soul
I curl up
And dream a dreamless sleep
It is silent
And it is strong

---------------------

"apparently nothing
apparently nothing at all"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home