Friday, January 27, 2006

Don't Throw Away Your Playful Beginnings

Alright. Daily dose of cute from Cute Overload:



I once put my foot in a shoe with a wasp in it. That wasn't nearly as pleasant as a kitten, I can assure you.

Keep all your sights on
Hey the black cat changing colors
And you can walk under ladders
And swim as the tide choose to turn you


In a better mood today. Probably because I got a nice, full night of sleep. I imagine you've really become part of Corporate America when that still doesn't make waking up any easier. And I've gotten compliments today that came out of nowhere (not sure how I feel, sometimes I like that I fly under the radar so much--so many other aspects of my life I am bit larger than life--a bit too much to swallow). Also, Jeremy's band is playing tonight and it'll be fun to dance around like dorks with Sharon and Spring (and BLYTHE!!--yes, you're coming, lady). There's a threat that I have to work this weekend, but with all the time I took off around holiday time, the lack of overtime is going to make for a very sad check, so I guess I don't mind it picking up a bit.

My fingers seem to be callousing. Is that a verb? I just made it one. So there! I'm having a bitch of a time practicing tuning the guitar. I have a good ear, but right now it has a hard time keeping notes seperate. It wants to make a song out of everything, and narrowing my ear down to tune frustrates me. Chris had told Spring (one of her resolutions was to learn the guitar as well, but I think I've been a bit more proactive with it--to be fair, I'm not planning a wedding or anything. I don't even have plants to water) that you should make a list of ten songs you want to learn to play on the guitar. This one gets me stuck--I could do a complete other list of Ani songs I want to learn, but I'll give it a shot:

1) Where did you Sleep Last Night--Nirvana (I believe there's a whole entry on the significance of this song to me, so I won't explain it beyond that)

2) Out of Range--Ani Difranco (duh)

3) Across the Universe--Beatles (though I'll probably sing it more in the style of Fiona Apple)

4) The Legionnaire's Lament--The Decemberists (I'm listening to it right now--so far I'm only hearing one chord--this could be one that you need the other instruments to make work--but whatever--MY LIST, DAMMIT!)

5) Volcano--Damien Rice

6) Satellite--Dave Matthews Band (to this day, this song puts a huge smile on my face--it will be hard to play because my fingers always want to make twinkling motions to it)

7) Miss Misery--Elliott Smith

8) Me and Bobby McGee--Janis Joplin (this needs no explanation, I feel)

9) Such Great Heights--Iron and Wine (Yes, I know the Postal Service does the happier, techno-ier--making up words right and left today, kids--but this one is slower and with an acoustic guitar)

10) Wish you Were Here--Pink Floyd (I once fell in love with a boy who played this at a high school talent show. Time to return the favor)

I think it's a good list. And very doable, I feel. Notice how I left off any Hendrix, though the ambitious creature in me is like--"I'm gonna be playing with my teeth trippin on acid in no time!!!" But then I feel I'm just setting myself up for disappointment because chances are, even if I pick this stuff up quickly, I'm years and years and years away from matching anything Hendrix-related. So I feel like my list of 10 should be reachable goals because otherwise, I'll get too frustrated. Honestly, that Ani song is probably going to be the hardest one out of the ten. Damn you Ani, and your amazingly schizophrenic guitar skills!

So it is written. So shall it be.

Have a lovely weekend, all.

5 Comments:

At 3:56 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm jealous. I have no musical ability whatsoever. Good luck w/ your list.

 
At 4:47 PM, Blogger kss said...

im hoping to work on piano whilst in malaysia. we can start a band!

 
At 4:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I got you covered on Across the Universe and Where Did You Sleep Last Night? and Wish You Were Here...

Please, also, be aware that Satellite is FUCKING HARD and Dave Matthews has hands the size my head.

That being said, I have no doubt that you will learn it.

I played every day for about a year, until I learned to play Blackbird... and the night I finally was able to play it the whole way through, my fingers began bleeding.

It was one of the proudest moments of my life.

 
At 4:59 PM, Blogger C said...

Yes, listening to Satellite, I realize that one's gonna be a bitch, too. I didn't want to go TOO easy on myself on the list--wanted a couple really fucking challenging ones. And I imagine I'll feel the same as you when you got Blackbird. And then stick my fingers in ice.

And yes, kss, we should TOTALLY start a band. And we should name is something like, "No Shame in Watching Wishbone" or something.

 
At 10:32 PM, Blogger Andrew Fletcher said...

...I got a nice, full night of sleep. I imagine you've really become part of Corporate America when that still doesn't make waking up any easier.

You are so correct. Once you've joined Coporate America a "full night of sleep" is more like sleeping in.

Good luck with Satellite. If it makes you fell better, I hear Carter's drum lines are just as difficult.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home